Re: Sawfish limitations with GNOME 2

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 15:08, Alexander Volovics wrote:

> I think it was a very great mistake not to create Gnome with it's
> own integrated window manager from the beginning.
> (Enlightenment, Sawfish, Metacity,..., what will we get next?)
> What is a desktop without a window manager.

Actually, with GNOME 2, any window manager conforming to the
freedesktop.org specs will "integrate" into GNOME just fine.

> Now this big complex growing thing is dependent on the whims of
> others. This is an idiotic situation. You can't just say 'write your own'!

No?  Funny, I thought that very premise was one of the basic
underpinnings of Free Software, "If you don't like it, here's the
source, feel free to write your own!"  If you don't like how Windows
acts, you haven't got much of a choice, have you?  At least with Free
desktops, and with GNOME and Metacity in particular, you have stuff like
libwnck, to create projects to extend WM functionality with programs
like Devil's Pie.  Seems like a good philosophy to me!

> Metacity is a good beginning. Now it should be taken up and developed
> further by the whole Gnome community and become an essential part of Gnome.
>
> It isn't a question of 'featuritis'. Some things are just plain missing.

There are things missing from Metacity?  Not much, I'd say.  Mind you,
it does come down to personal preference, but I'd venture to guess that
the majority of the "features" you're missing from Metacity that you had
in Sawfish, et al, are actually just workarounds for the
buggy/inconsistent behavior of various applications.

See this link as an example of what I mean about apps misbehavior making
Metacity look bad:

http://lists.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2003-January/msg00064.html

Metacity's a good thing.  Ever had it crash on you?  Ever been utterly
confused by its configuration dialog?  There's a reason for that.

On the other hand, as Havoc mentioned somewhere on this thread, you
might wish to check out Openbox: http://icculus.org/openbox/  It's fast,
but I'm told it has a few more of the tweaker features you desire.

 - jck

--
Jens Knutson <jensknutson yahoo com>
UpEvil.net