Re: Sawfish limitations with GNOME 2

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 10:08:41PM +0100, Alexander Volovics wrote:
> Now this big complex growing thing is dependent on the whims of
> others. This is an idiotic situation. You can't just say 'write your own'!
> Metacity is a good beginning. Now it should be taken up and developed
> further by the whole Gnome community and become an essential part of
> Gnome.

metacity is the official GNOME window manager right now, and is as
integrated as I can imagine a window manager being. That was one of
the design goals.

It is integrated (almost) entirely via standard, documented protocols
though, because as I was writing it I took care to propose additions
to the protocol where necessary, so that people would not be locked in
to metacity. So that's why metacity also works with KDE. And why any
WM author that wants to can go to http://www.freedesktop.org, read the
spec, implement it, and work with GNOME or KDE. And several have.