Re: removing icons from desktop (solved)

So I did the following command...

gconftool-2 -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false

and it took effect IMMEDIATELY.. :) which is good ... right?

However, along with the icons being gone, so is my "right-click" menu... can I have one without the other.. I thought the right-click was a function of the window manager?? at least back in the old days when I hacked around with windowmaker itwas :)

--On Thursday, January 16, 2003 01:57:24 PM +0100 Alexander Volovics <awol home nl> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:13:35AM -0200, Hamilton Coutinho wrote:

> Does anybody know of a simple way to get rid of the pesky icons.

Run Preferences/Control Center/Extras/Sessions/Current Session and
remove nautilus from list. Then just save the session when logging out.

Thanks for the reply. However I just heard, via bugzilla, of a more elegant way to configure nautilus to not draw the desktop (which of course also gets rid of the icons).

Use gconf-editor (gui) or gconftool-2 (tui) to set the value of the
'show_desktop' key to false. I.e.:
'/usr/sbin/gconftool-2 -g /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop'.

I had looked at the gconf-editor before but not tried to use it because
of the "dire" warning: 'Use this tool at your own risk' and because my
install of Phoebe was practically unusable from the GUI because of crazy
behaviour of mouse cursor, windows and menus (solved this morning).

-- *The United States must fully disclose and destroy it's Weapons of Mass Destruction*

Phoebe-list mailing list
Phoebe-list redhat com

-- Tommy McNeely -- Tommy McNeely Sun COM Sun Microsystems - IT Ops - Broomfield Campus Support Phone: x50888 / 303-464-4888 -- Fax: 720-566-3168