Re: menu editing needs testing

On Mon, 2003-01-27 at 22:49, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote a patch to gnome-vfs, so that in gnome-vfs 2.2.0-5, menu
> editing can be enabled as follows:
>
>  cd /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules
>  cp default-modules.conf default-modules.conf.no-editing
>  cp default-modules.conf.with-new-vfolder-method default-modules.conf
>
> Then you must restart nautilus and the panel (killall nautilus;
> killall gnome-panel; should do it)
>
> At that point you should be able to browse to applications:/// in
> nautilus and edit the menus.
>
> Please test that:
>
>  - adding menu items works
yes

>  - deleting menu items works
yes, but when I delete and it opts for "move to trash" it says that it
can't be moved to the trash. Is there any reason for it not to be moved
to the trash? It's just a launcher entry, right? Can't these be
recovered from the trash?

>  - moving menu items works
yes

>  - copying menu items works
yes

>  - if you do the above as root, it does not break
>    menus for users who log in and use KDE

can't test - no kde installed :)

>  - the menus do not appear differently with the editable backend
>    vs. the current default backend
menus are the same, afaict

>  - report any crashes seen
none so far

> If anyone (or hopefully multiple people) can confirm each of the above
> points that will argue in favor of enabling the editable vfs backend
> by default.

I think it's a great idea.

Ideally, to be included in RHL TNV?

-sv