Single-boot-disk installer

Jeremy: I'm sending you a copy to be sure you see it. However, don't

I think I know how to install Phoebe with a one-floppy boot.

It requires grub on a floppy, and with network support built in.

I've been doing some testing using the CVS version of grub.

First, the bad news: support for my 3c509 does not work. I can and have
built grub without that driver, and it works fine with another of my
test systems. However, that driver alone and with others fails.

Using grub, I can boot and run the standard RHL Linux kernel/initrd from
Phoebe's "boot.iso." I have a dhcp server running, but you can use
static IP.

I use my tftp server, but setting it up is pretty simple - I see it's th
default configuration. II already had it set to serve stuff from
/tftpboot, so I create:
[root magpie tftpboot]# ls boot/phoebe/
total 3512
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      2712730 Jan 16 15:26 initrd.img
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root       871331 Jan 16 15:26 vmlinuz
[root magpie tftpboot]#

This boots, and I get to start running the installer. That's as far as I
wish to go on this test system: Pentium 100, 32 Mbytes.

On RHL 7.3, I built grub thus:
./configure --enable-pci-direct --enable-lance --enable-3c595
--enable-eepro100 --enable-sis900 --enable-diskless
--enable-example-kernel --prefix=/tmp/Grub/INSTALL

time make -s
make -s install
make -s check

I create a boot floppy with this menu:
[summer numbat summer]$ cat /misc/floppy/boot/grub/menu.lst
title serial
         terminal serial
title test
         root (nd)
         kernel (nd)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-386 root=/dev/hda2 s vga=6
         initrd (nd)/boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-386

title Phoebe
         root (nd)
         kernel (nd)/boot/phoebe/vmlinuz vga=6
         initrd (nd)/boot/phoebe/initrd.img

title floppy
         root (fd0)
         chainloader +1
[summer numbat summer]$

It would be ideal if grub had the option of passing the network
configuration to the kernel using IP=... in the standard way as
described in /usr/src/linux-2.4/Documentation/nfsroot.txt: etherboot can
do this, and it beats building a custom kernel;-).

Note that booting grub from floppy is quicker than booting the kernel from floppy.