From: Phoebe - 7M3 - Live [mailto:creed7m3live columbus rr com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 4:25 PM
To: phoebe-list redhat com
Subject: Re: Can't install 8.0.93. No problems with 8.0.92, 8.0 and 7.2

John Summerfield wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, [iso-8859-1] Magnus J wrote:
>

>>Hello everyone
>>

>>It is impossible for me to install Phoebe 2 on my SMP
>>box. The installer hangs in at least 4 different
>>places.
>>
>>I've checked the MD5SUM on the iso-files, and they are correct. I've
>>verified the media in X CD Roast to be correct, but when I run the
>>media check in the installer, it always crashes. Even tried replacing
>>the
>

> The fact the media check fails suggests other things might too. Try
> the media check in another box.
>

> If that works, restest with one of the CD drives from the failing box.

I had a similar problem with the Phoebe 1 discs. In my case, the media
check failed in my older machines drive. When I checked the discs in the
newer machine, the discs passed the media check. Neither of the readers
was a reader/burner.

The amount of memory for the older machine was only 64 megs. The newer
machine has over 300 megs. You don't suppose that the media checker
consumes a large block of memory, larger than previous versions have?

Just a guess,

Jim

--
mixed emotions:
        Watching a bus-load of lawyers plunge off a cliff.