NFS Performance

Anyone know why I would only get around 1 or 1.5 MB/s transfer rates
when using NFS to an AIX NFS server? It's been a long-standing problem
with Red Hat for me, ever since 7.2. (I don't *remember* it being a
problem on 7.1.) I'm still using 7.3 -- not 8.0 -- for various reasons,
and I've been trying the beta to see if it addresses my issues (mainly
fonts). Except for the NFS thing, it has. When I do a large transfer, it
can send load on the AIX box to around 10 and bring it to a crawl. None
of the IBM workstations that use the that server as a file store bother
it like that. The reason I'm picking on Red Hat is that I tried Gentoo
for a time, and it didn't do this. I could get 4 and 5 MB/s transfer
with it, and it never touched the load on the server. I think the
problem is *better* if I use `nfsvers=2' as an option, and limit the
packet size to 8K, but it still sucks. I've searched all of the net for
issues relating to Linux and AIX NFS performance, and have drawn a
complete blank. Any ideas?

TIA,
dk