Re: Betas and Subscription Questions

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 13:10, Dan Diephouse wrote:

> 1. Does the subscription apply to betas?  ie, can I use up2date fore
> phoebe, or is it only for final products?

Up2date is used for official and beta.  The beta one is either turned on
or off, depending on if Red Hat does/wants to release errata for it or
not, or tell folks to use rawhide or such.

> 2. I did not buy the beta obviously, so do I need to pay the $60/yr for
> the subscription?  I have read in places that users get one free
> subscription, but I have a feeling this only applies if you buy a boxed
> product.

You get one free subscription to Red Hat Network no matter what, and can
use it for official or beta releases.

> 3. What are my other alternatives to upgrade if up2date doesn't apply to
> betas?

There is no way to upgrade betas using up2date (cept there may be
workarounds, like updating redhat-release or something and pretending
it's the next beta, but not sure if that works).  Actually, there is no
way of upgrading official releases using up2date either, unless you try
something like above.  Up2date is used for getting out packages that
have security issues, major bug fixes and the like, not for upgrading
(least yet anyway).

If you want to upgrade an official release, use the CD's, NFS, FTP,
HTTP, kickstart or whatever to upgrade or install a new fresh OS.  For
betas, upgrading isnt' supported at all, unless you upgrade from an
official release, to a beta.  Beta's to beta isnt' supported at all and
should always be clean installs unless it's from an official release.

Does that help?

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen!"