Re: Sendmail update

Quoting Chris Chabot <chabotc xs4all nl>:

> So your seriously claiming that you think 'untested' or 'unpatched'
> packages could be included in rh8.1 ?!

No, that's not what my statement said. Let's review, and I'll try to explain it
so everyone can understand.

"To those saying that Red Hat should not prioritize an updated sendmail
package; should they release Red Hat 8.1 with a vulnerable sendmail that was
beta tested, or should they release it with a patched but untested sendmail?"

First, this was a question; I wasn't making a "claim" about what I "think". The
question was addressed to "those saying that Red Hat should not prioritize an
updated sendmail package". I was playing devil's advocate, trying to present
another point of view using sarchasm (apparently the sarchasm wasn't as obvious
as I intended).

The question was simple, based on this fact: Red Hat can either release an
updated sendmail package for the beta, or not. If they do, the updated package
can be thoroughly beta tested (interacting with the other packages) before final
release. If they don't, either the vulnerable sendmail package will be in the
final release, or an updated but untested sendmail package will be released. The
question (of those to whom it was addressed) was which of these should Red Hat do.

I really have no idea how you interpreted my post as what you replied. As I have
no desire for this to turn into a flame war, this is my last post on this
subject. If you still don't understand my point, so be it.

Rick

P.S. I think it's great that you compiled the errata into a package; it will
prevent vulnerable beta machines. But installing this beta tests your package,
not Red Hat's. Which is fine, if they include your package in the final release.