Re: A few XMMS problems

The first I believe has to do with the third party mp3 support.Whenever
I am playing mp3s, if I do anything else, mp3 playback is affected, and
I get these annoying skips. I do not seem to get this problem with ogg
files though.

Just esound sucking probably. You could try playing direct to /dev/dsp and disabling esound. I'm not sure how to do that.

gnome can be quite stuborn about esound, so how i solved it:

# cd /usr/bin
# mv esound esound.org
# ln -s /bin/true esound

And esound never bothered me again ;-)

ps, you can restore esound functionality again by renaming esound.org back to esound. Personaly i use the emu10k1 driver from creative, which allows /dev/dsp to be opened multiple times, so i have no need for latency-inducing sound daemons

-- Chris