Re: A few XMMS problems

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 21:19, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Just esound sucking probably. You could try playing direct to /dev/dsp
> and disabling esound. I'm not sure how to do that.

esdctl standby
will place esd in standby mode and allow other programs access to
/dev/dsp.
esdctl resume
to turn esd control back on.
that would be the eloguent way to disable esd temporarily while its
running, though i would have thought simply using
Preferences->Sound
General:uncheck Enable sound server startup
save session logout/login would prevent esd from starting up

and then you'd have to set xmms to use the OSS output driver.

> > The second is that under GNOME2.2, XMMS refuses to minimize by clicking
> > on the panel, it wants me to click the minimize button on the app
> > itself, which is very inconvenient, given its extremely small size.
>
> Works OK for me. May depend on your window manager or window manager
> version.

works for me in metacity.