Re: tar error

Michael Schwendt wrote:

On Sun, 09 Mar 2003 08:42:40 -0500, Dale Kosan wrote:

Whenever I try and tar my home directory with the following command :

tar -cvzf /data/home.tar.gz /home/dale

It works for a while then I get the following error:

[dale gandalf dale]$

This happens every time I try and tar this directory. The size is about 500Mb. Any know why? Thanks for any help given....

No other error message? Try non-verbose mode with just

tar cfz /data/home.tar.gz /home/dale

so standard output doesn't scroll away the error message. Or try
capturing error output like this:

tar cfz /data/home.tar.gz /home/dale 2>error.txt
cat error.txt

Here is the output you requested:

[dale gandalf dale]$ tar cfz /data/home.tar.gz /home/dale
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: /home/dale/.xsession-errors: file changed as we read it
tar: /home/dale/.gxine/socket: socket ignored