Latest UTB Newsletter

A couple days ago, I asked about RedHat's plans for a "workstation" distribution. Now we have the answers. But it begs another question. Will anything be changing about the "consumer" versions of the OS? We know that they will only have a year of support going forward (which I can understand -- don't *like* -- but understand), but will these too go the way of source distros unless you pay for the boxed sets?

I suppose this is another case of, "Hey, do you see it on the web site? No? Fine. Don't ask." But I'm sort of worried about my favorite distro. I've looked at Gentoo, Mandrake, and Debian (and Slackware, a long time ago), and I honestly think they all pale in comparison to RedHat. However, I can't afford to buy a new boxed set every 12 months. At that rate, there's no savings over using Windows, where you pay a couple hundred every couple years. And not to say that using Linux has to save you that kind of money, I guess, but it's a definite advantage.

I guess what I'm ultimately asking is whether we should be on the lookout for some more direction on the consumer version, or if these "enterprise" version announcements are totally independent of those plans.