network response for smb,dns etc.

Sometime ago a change occured in my network responses for various
requests.  I have spent some time trying to track down the culprit.  It
happened around the time that I changed to phoebe 3 from 8.0 and added a
second network card.  I also turned on the dhcp server on my router for
my laptop (for addresses starting 192.168.1.120 and all wired computers
are static below this)

Symptoms:
all addresses not found in dns are forwarded to my gateway (linksys
router)

ie. if i typed grroogle.com on accident instead of receiving an error it
asks for my router password because it is trying to look at my gateway
address.

In samba my requests for a netbios name now don't work I must use the ip
address.

ie.  smb://office doesn't work I must use smb://192.168.1.x

This compounded to my difficulty installing a windows printer it kept
saying that the samba host would not respond.  I tried many different
combinations in the definition of the server, share and ip address.
After adding the netbios name to the /etc/hosts file it now works.  I am
not sure this is a good thing to do and I am sure it is not the intended
way to accomplish what I want.

Sorry about the organization here, since I am so puzzled I wanted to
include all info I thought might help.

thanks,

--
Matt Whiteley <matt-whiteley attbi com>