Re: Latest UTB Newsletter

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 10:27, Gerald Henriksen wrote:

> Lets see, people buy SGI for high end 2D and 3D graphics.  You expect
> them to move to WS given that WS will *not* support the current
> drivers for the ATI cards?  Do you expect these SGI workstation users
> to suddenly switch over to console applications?

That's twice in the same thread where you've made the assumption that
the only high-end 3D graphics chipsets on x86 come from ATI. That's
crap, and you know it. There's NVidia's Quadro line and HP's FX series
out there, just to name two competitors, and I know there's a third I'm
overlooking because I can't remember the name. Both of the two I
reference here have been used on Linux machines for several years now,
so I'm quite certain that drivers exist for them for XFree 4.1. Just
because ATI's driver support has stunk (and I only know this second-hand
from what I've read) doesn't mean that Red Hat has to cater to their
stinkiness. Want to talk about bitterness? Ask me how I feel about
Matrox's 3D "support" sometime. The bottom line is that I don't use
Matrox products any more. I'm not touching an ATI product to use under
Linux until NVidia starts doing me wrong.

> Most of the commercial Unix software market is moving to GTK2/Gnome2
> at least in part because that is the official new standard for Solaris
> which means Solaris and Linux can share the same GUI code.  Solaris
> officially supports Gnome2 now, yet a Red Hat product to compete
> against Solaris doesn't, and Sun isn't known for being cutting edge.

Can you name a major application (i.e. one that a lot of people use)
that's written for GTK2 that will leave people in the lurch? Look, I'm a
programmer by day, but I don't know everything about it. However, I'm
sure that if someone were selling an application to the demographic that
is going to be buying RH EW, they can bundle their own gtk2 libraries or
even statically compile their app (since nothing on the OS is supposed
to be sharing them anyway).

dk