Re: Radeon 9000 Pro 3D performance under 8.0.94 (was NVIDIA patches...)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Charles Griffin wrote:

>> First off, it looks gorgeous. I'm running 1024x768,
>> with all options set
>> to their most taxing, and everything runs nice and
>> buttery smooth.
>
>Ok, so in order to get this through my thick
>used-to-nvidia-binary-drivers-only head, are you
>saying that the Radeon 9000 works with 2d and 3d out
>of the box on Pheobe using open source drivers?  Any
>configuration at all or was 3d just working after a
>fresh install of pheobe?

Phoebe, and in particular the XFree86 included in Pheobe, which
is now currently 4.3.0, supports 2D and 3D acceleration on the
following Built by ATI Radeon AGP hardware:

Radeon VE/7000
Radeon 32/64 SDR/DDR aka. Radeon 7200
Radeon 7500
Radeon 8500
Radeon 9000
FireGL 8700
FireGL 8800
And also Radeon Mobility and Mobility FireGL 7800

Also, the Powered by ATI Radeon 9100 is rumored to work ok too.

Other Powered by ATI hardware may also work depending on how
close to ATI's reference boards the clone cards are.

Radeon 9500Pro/9700Pro are supported 2D only.

Radeon PCI hardware has not been supported by the DRI except on
the Alpha processor until recently.  XFree86 4.3.0 has gotten
some tweaks that now allow *experimental* PCI support for Radeon
on x86.  Those of you with PCI Radeons who would like to
experiment with this, can use Option "ForcePCIMode" in your
config file as well.

While PCI Radeon DRI is not officially supported, I personally
have a desire to know of any problems, so please report any DRI
related PCI Radeon problems in bugzilla anyway, even though it
isn't officially supported, as it can help me and others to try
to improve it in the future.

Also, ATI just released 3 new chips - Radeon 9200/9600/9800.
These are not supported by XFree86 4.3.0 currently, however I
plan on adding support for them (2D/3D for 9200, and 2D for
9600/9800) as soon as I have the time, and when I can get the
required information from ATI (I just need to email them).

Feel free to pass this around to others who you think would
benefit from knowing what hardware is supported, etc.