Re: Latest UTB Newsletter

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> You don't need to.  We do the work for you.  By using Red Hat
> Linux and other Red Hat products, our name stands for itself.
> Either you trust our products and trust us, or you don't.  We
> apply security fixes to software when there are problems and we
> release erratum.  New OS products will go out the door with those
> security fixes automatically built-in if the versions of the
> software in the new product were vulnerable in their stock
> upstream versions.  That is the way it is done.
>
> I believe our customers choose Red Hat Linux because they trust
> us to make good judgement, and to do the right thing in a
> reliable and secure manner.  And I also strongly believe that we
> do this and do it properly.
>
> Then there should be no problems with customers worrying wether
> or not a given security fix is included in a given release of the
> OS.  They can trust Red Hat and our products, or they can contact
> us to clarify any of their concerns and allay their possible
> fears.

This is the bottom line to this whole argument!! Either you trust
your vendor to do the right thing or you do not. I do trust Red Hat
to do the right thing and that is why I use and recommend them.

I will agree that blind trust is not a good thing. I do watch what
they do but having used Red Hat products since the Halloween days
and having them do the right thing is one of the reasons I get to
sleep at night. Do I agree with everything Red Hat does? Of course
not but they have a good policy wrt security and that is very
important to me.

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl rogueind com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....