Re: Latest UTB Newsletter

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> You don't need to.  We do the work for you.  By using Red Hat
> Linux and other Red Hat products, our name stands for itself.
> Either you trust our products and trust us, or you don't.  We
> apply security fixes to software when there are problems and we
> release erratum.  New OS products will go out the door with those
> security fixes automatically built-in if the versions of the
> software in the new product were vulnerable in their stock
> upstream versions.  That is the way it is done.
> I believe our customers choose Red Hat Linux because they trust
> us to make good judgement, and to do the right thing in a
> reliable and secure manner.  And I also strongly believe that we
> do this and do it properly.
> Then there should be no problems with customers worrying wether
> or not a given security fix is included in a given release of the
> OS.  They can trust Red Hat and our products, or they can contact
> us to clarify any of their concerns and allay their possible
> fears.

This is the bottom line to this whole argument!! Either you trust
your vendor to do the right thing or you do not. I do trust Red Hat
to do the right thing and that is why I use and recommend them.

I will agree that blind trust is not a good thing. I do watch what
they do but having used Red Hat products since the Halloween days
and having them do the right thing is one of the reasons I get to
sleep at night. Do I agree with everything Red Hat does? Of course
not but they have a good policy wrt security and that is very
important to me.

.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl rogueind com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market
			with good software." -- Bill Gates 1976

   			We are still waiting ....