Re: no support w/2.5 kernel installed. Spelling, no big deal 4 me

Jarod Wilson wrote:
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 13:23:16 -0500
From: Audioslave - 7M3 - Live <creed7m3live columbus rr com>
To: phoebe-list redhat com
Subject: no support w/2.5 kernel installed. Spelling, no big deal 4 me

Jarod Wilson wrote:
I usually abrieviate thev word as misc. It doesn't follow any convention for spelling that I heard of. Is this word perhaps non-english, where it would follow that language's rules and regs 4 spelling.

English (especially US English) is quite the mutt language.

The word spellings, different meaning for words like to, too and two are a bit confusing.

Some of the spellings are very out of the ordinary. I'd like for other groups that speak different languages to clean up the spelling, same sounds for different letters and such cleaned up.

Miscellaneous. Sorry, spelling is one of my pet peeves. :) I just prefer
to see people spell things correctly, because in my mind, mis-spellings
detract from the respect people have for what you say (er, write).

I try to spell things correctly. What spelling does for me is very little. I take it that those that do not finite their spelling to a conformity standard are more genuine and are less likely to be clones from a tribe.

Ya got me. I'm a clone.

I guess that the point that I was trying to convey was the unimportance of completely correct spelling. When your program does not have a spell checker, you are pretty much on your own, for spelling.

I like mozilla and have heard that there is a current project that regards a spell checker. I am waiting for it to be included within the program someday.

A completely conformity spelled document usually conveys deceptiveness and conformity for a person. Deception, because most likely, they need the aid of a spell checker. Conformity, because it sounds like a "Felix Ungar" for the language community.

I still think a document in which everything is properly spelled conveys
that the author has a very good grasp on the language, not deception.
And 99.999% of the time, I don't need a spell-checker (those miss
grammatical errors, and like-sounding word substitutions, so you can't
rely on them anyway). :)

Some of it isn't even a matter of spelling. Some people just aren't that
handy with the keyboard. To this day, I still believe keyboarding was
the best class I ever took in high school.

I took personal typing for half a year. Computers weren't commonplace then. I was more in awe with the typing teacher, than typing. Plus, I never planned on ever needing to know how to type.

I agree that the keyboarding skills seems to be the major factor for misspelled words. It is an important skill to be good at.

Exactly. But note that Red Hat won't provide any support whatsoever for
a machine with something other than an officially released Red Hat
kernel, for obvious reasons.

I understand the conformity rational regarding support. If it ain't in the supported "dictionary" for rules and regulations. It isn't in whole a "spellchecked" problem.

I think that it is a policy that both adds core to the product and also severely inhibits more rapid advancements for the distribution.

A large part of it is a business decision. Maintaining a tech support
staff isn't cheap, and the job becomes much harder if you don't limit
support to stable products.

You make a good point on maintaining the stable products to be time consuming enough. The only problem that developmental items seem quicker to make changes to correct problems. With "stable" items, bugs are often hacked around.

I feel that if you expect to make a profit from Linux. You will have to abandon the concept of all the ducks in a row. For paying customers, they are both real and hardly regard limitations on paid for options as an acceptable situation.

I disagree. The biggest profits are in the corporate arena. Corporate
customers want stable products (and yet some still use Windows, so maybe
unstable kernels would be okay?!?).

Good points, both for the corporate arena and windows unstable history. Why not, the market is already used to instability, anyway.

For my situation, with computer systems, that are used at work.  There is no usage
of linux, for the most part.  I think that odd numbered releases should be odd
numbered and follow the developmental phases of the kernel. Of course, this idea
goes to the "added effort" and little added benefits that adding the bp-sec or
bp-broken-opt  wiuld convey to an average person, that would be aided with the
visual que. Though, I agree with the ending argument that you cannot save the
world. Though, it is pretty entertaining to do so.

I whole-heartedly disagree with your idea that odd-numbered OS releases
ought to be development versions. That is what betas are for. Do you
know of any other company putting out an operating system in that

Betas are made to take the alpha factor out of the equation. Running official developmental releases is a concept that I favor. This beta cycle went through three phases. Get to phase 1, then you are stagnant until phase 2. Run phase 2 for awhile, then you are stagnated at phase 3.

Um, I think the main difference between a beta release and a development
release is, for the most part, the name. And you aren't stagnant.
There's Rawhide and up2date.

Rawhide is new territiory for me. I tried to hold down to up2date or suggestions by others for bug-fixes. I haven't seen any updates on up2date since I originally updated to the beta.
Because of my security concerns and no fixes through up2date, I elected to shoot back to psyche, for the security updates. I haven't figured out how to fix openssl yet. But for the less dependent programs, I go back to the earlier, with the errata applied.

This is my first beta release that I also interacted within a mailing group. I have learned a lot from the time that I have spent on the list and beta.

I appreciate the wide range of intellects that are also participating on the beta. I learned more about Red Hat, than solo on my 4.2 to present cowboying probably achieved.

Cowboying is good, too. But you definitely can pick up a lot just by
participating in these lists.

It is a great to hear other people's ideas and solutions to problems. When I only read the info and man pages, I didn't get the actual human solutions and explainations.

Spelling and standards are important processes. However, less stringent standards and experimentatal concepts do add a lot to product advancements.

-- Life is a grand adventure -- or it is nothing. -- Helen Keller