Re: Wishlist: Source-based option

Benjamin Vander Jagt wrote:
Some time ago, I made an idiotically simple script to rebuild all the
Phoebe-3 SRPMs. http://www.angelfire.com/biz/vanderjagtcomputers/Phoebe-3_Rebuilding_Scripts.html It took about a day to rebuild everything. I didn't notice anything working better or faster, but my memory usage at startup dropped by about 10%. Plus, playing an MP3 took 0% CPU instead of between 0.7% and 1.3% that it took before. However, these numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, since it's possible that a previously functional service had been replaced by a broken one.

One thing this script is truly useful for is installing some or all of
the Phoebe SRPMs into Psyche.

Where the script does:

rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i686 --nodeps --quiet 4Suite-0.11.1-13.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i686 --nodeps --quiet a2ps-4.13b-28.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i686 --nodeps --quiet abiword-1.0.4-2.src.rpm

You could say:

for srpm in *.src.rpm
	do rpmbuild --rebuild --target=i686 --nodeps --quiet $srpm
---end code---

I'm not too sure I'd allow it to build w/ nodeps personally, and do note that not all packages function properly when rebuilt (perl for one since the modules directory is moved around).

I, however, did the same thing for my Red Hat 7.3 tree. I then merged the i686 packages with the i386 packages, and reran genhdlist for that tree. Now, whenever a client does a kickstart install, it grabs the appropriate architecture, no reinstalling required.

-- Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson medata com Linux/WAN Administrator - Medata, Inc. PGP Public Key: https://mail.medata.com/pgp/rjohnson.asc