Re: Wishlist: Source-based option

HoytDuff wrote:
On Tuesday 18 March 2003 09:03 pm, Rick Johnson wrote:

Some time ago, I made an idiotically simple script to rebuild all the
Phoebe-3 SRPMs.

I really don't want to recompile everything, so if I wanted to spend the minimal amount of time recompiling for, say, Athlon optimisations, I would want to recompile the kernel (and maybe gcc so it would compile other apps faster), glibc, X11, and what next? The GNOME and KDE libs (and QT)? Multimedia apps? At what point do I get diminishing returns?

You've pretty much nailed it on the head. Anything that you'd find CPU intensive may benefit from the optimization. Unless you customize the kernel, there's not much point in rebuilding it, however, unless you do it "manually".

I did a similar, more specific task on my athlon box at home running RH80, and did notice gains under X11 after recompiling all gnome/kde related packages. Some other apps improved as well (GnuPG, etc.). Unfortunately I don't have that machine anymore, or I could benchmark the differences.

In summary, for one machine, spending 4 days to save a few seconds here and there probably doesn't add up. However, spread across 20-30 machines, the returns are probably much greater.

-Rick
--
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson medata com
Linux/WAN Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)