Re: Wishlist: Source-based option

On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 02:22, Jens Knutson wrote:

> It was poo-poo'ed by Havoc earlier, too.

Oops. I got my "knowledgable hackers" mixed up. I was thinking of Havoc.
Sorry Mike.

> No offense, but until I see
> real numbers from a benchmark app, I'm inclined to believe two
> knowledgeable hackers over easily influenced geeks, who desperately want
> to believe they can squeeze out those last few drops of performance, and
> actually notice a difference.  Yeah, compiling EVERYTHING with a certain
> set of flags might yield a difference in performance, but I'm guessing
> that for most things, it's psychological - one *believes* it is faster.
> I'd love to see double-blind testing on this someday...

Well, frankly, if you were talking about me in particular being an
"easily influenced geek," I do take some mild offense. What you said
sounds really... professional, but in my case, you're wrong. I fought
the idea for weeks. My buddy put Gentoo on every Linux box he had
(something like 8 or 10), and kept extolling the virtues of the speed. I
kept telling him he was full of crap. When I finally tried it, I didn't
want it to be true, because I didn't want to spend all my time
recompiling. The bottom line is that I'm saying it's 10 or 15 percent
"snappier" based on a negative presumption.

If people don't want to believe me, fine: don't believe me. I'm telling
everyone that there's noticeable performance gains to be had using it,
and I'm only saying that to encourage people to try it out. If you
disagree with me, don't just say "balogna" and claim misguided
psychological issues are involved. Try it for yourself. Put it on a
machine you're in front of a lot, and just take a test drive. I don't
know of any way to officially benchmark this stuff, else I would, and
prove all the naysayers wrong. ;-) Like the old Saturday morning cartoon
used to say: "Don't knock it till you try it."

Hey, you've got a machine that runs Phoebe, don't you? Why else are you
on this list? Obstensibly, that's not a production machine. Try it
there, and then you won't have to guess at what's possible.