Re: Wishlist: Source-based option

Jef Spaleta wrote:
On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 07:23, David Krider wrote:

If people don't want to believe me, fine: don't believe me.

NUMBERS!!!!! I will believe hard numbers, produced by a scientifically
repeatable method which does its best to keep all other factors, other
than the one being tested the same. Gentoo could be doing a vast array
of things that have nothing to do with actually recompiling the source
code. I'll believe you..as quickly as I believed the cold fusion
researchers...when either of you come up with a reproducible scientific

So, does anyone have any ideas about how to benchmark such things, so that we could get some reliable, repeatable numbers? Also, any idea what I'd need to do to optimize for P4? I guess that I'm saying that I'm willing to be a guinea pig here...