Re: Latest UTB Newsletter

On 2003-03-14 at 09:22:43-0500 Jef Spaleta <jspaleta princeton edu> wrote:

> But short of providing the source code so I can actually do my own
> code audit to verify redhat has patched the source

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/2.1AS/en/os/i386/SRPMS

> But I guess maybe from a marketing standpoint the human readable
> list of packported fixes would warm the hearts and minds of certain
> pointed haired people who have purchasing oversight.

PHBs don't care, and the people who *do* care already have many ways
to obtain this information (RHN, the redhat-watch mailing list, the
"errata" section on www.redhat.com, et. al.).  This would simply be a
waste of time for Red Hat.

If PHBs gave a damn about distinguishing backported security fixes,
Sun would've declared bankruptcy long ago.

If PHBs gave a damn about security at all, Microsoft would've declared
bankruptcy long ago.

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute