Re: XFree 4.3.0 freezes with Radeon 9000

> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 20:37:12 -0800
> From: J Sloan <joe tmsusa com>
> To: phoebe-list redhat com
> Subject: Re: XFree 4.3.0 freezes with Radeon 9000
>
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
> >I'm sitting on a week of uptime under XF86 4.3.0 with a Radeon 9000
> >Pro/128MB (Built by ATI). I've played plenty of Wolfenstein and done
> >everything else I can to torture the card during that week. No problems
> >whatsoever.
> >

> Sounds good - I may have to break down
> and replace my nvidia - I wonder how your
> card would handle doom3...

Not too sure on that one...

> BTW just to clarify is that with the ATI
> drivers or with the DRI?

DRI. The ATI drivers don't work at all for me. They complain about my
not having XF86 4.2.x, and I haven't gotten around to really trying to
figure out a fix to make them work with 4.3.0.

> From: Scott Radvan <scott radsy com>
> To: phoebe-list redhat com
> Subject: Re: XFree 4.3.0 freezes with Radeon 9000
>

> Running a Gigabyte R9000 on Phoebe here, with official ATI drivers.
> Works perfectly.

Under XFree86 4.3.0? If so, what did you do to get ATI's drivers to
work, because they won't on my system (since I'm not running 4.2.x, they
say).

Double-check that you're actually using the ATI drivers and not the DRI
drivers. The fglrxconfig program generates an XF86Config-4 file, which
is NOT used under Red Hat Linux > 8.0, they use XF86Config. You have to
rename the file fglrxconfig generates to XF86Config for it to do
anything. You may actually still be running the radeon driver in your
XF86Config file.

You can confirm which driver you're using by typing 'fglrxinfo' at the
command-line.

--
Jarod Wilson, RHCE
<jcw wilsonet com>