Re: Wishlist: Source-based option

On 18 Mar 2003, Benjamin Vander Jagt wrote:

>As for what it would do for Red Hat, it would increase the base of users
>that would choose Red Hat, therefore making proper Red Hat the default
>standard Linux distribution, meaning that more prospective technicians
>and engineers would choose RHCE as well as subscriptions.

No, it would increase the base of users reporting wads of bugs
that were caused by random recompilation with random commandline
options.  There is absolutely no viable business case for this,
and there are very good technical and tech support reasons for
not doing it.  It just simply will not happen, and for the
reasons that have been cited already.

Again, feel free to make a clone distribution and implement your
own infrastructure for doing this.  It's all open source code,
and users are encouraged to take Red Hat Linux and modify it for
their own purposes, be those purposes commercial, educational,
hobbiest, or other purposes.

Don't let my words discourage you from wishing for something that
wont ever happen as a part of Red Hat Linux though.