Re: Sound not working

Justin Johnson wrote:
Hi,

Ever since I installed Phoebe my sound card stopped working.  It was
working in redhat 8.0 without me doing anything special.

sndconfig detects that I have  Ensoniq|ES1371 AudioPCI-97, but doesn't
play a sound.  It says it is playing a test sound, but I don't hear a
thing.  I'm actually not sure what the sound card is.  Came with my Dell
Dimension 4100.

/etc/modules.conf contains
---
alias eth0 tulip
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 es1371
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L

/dev/null 2>&1 || :

pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ---

The following is some relavent output from dmesg
--
es1371: version v0.32 time 18:43:37 Jan 20 2003
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 02:0b.0

Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but the following appears in my
log email to root.

--------------------- ModProbe Begin ------------------------

Can't locate these modules:
   sound-service-1-0: 2 Time(s)
   char-major-10-134: 1 Time(s)
   sound-slot-1: 2 Time(s)

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Justin

I get those error messeges on occasion also. My card was already configured before, so a sound was heard. I have also had to reboot before my sound would work in earlier attempts. My laptop had to reboot in order for me to hear sound. I did not have to reload it though with each X session.

My sound card is identified as "Intel Corp | 82801AA AC97 Audio". I compiled my own kernels before and used the intel audio within my monolithic kernel versions. (No modules). It worked earlier. I used the intel sound driver for the compiled 2.5 version of my kernel attempt.

It writes the file to /etc/modules.config, using sndconfig.

Jim