Re: RHL 9 - concerns

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 13:56, Matt Wilson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:30:02PM +0000, David Holden wrote:
> >
> > Does this mean if I purchase RHL ES at $349 I get 5 years security
> > updates included for that price. Or will I additionally have to pay a
> > yearly subscription to RHN on top of this price?
>
> The product itself is an annual subscription to the product and
> services (like errata delivery via RHN).  The Base Edition Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux ES (note, you said "RHL ES" which does not exist)
> price gives you Basic 90 days Installation and Configuration and 1
> year of Red Hat Network.  At the end of one year the subscription is
> up for renewal.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt
> msw redhat com
> --
> Matt Wilson
> Manager, Base Operating Systems
> Red Hat, Inc.

Ah ok, I understand. So my choice is RH8/9 60$ per year and be forced to
upgraded on a yearly basis, total cost for 5 year $300 (no inflation),
or pay minimum 349$ a year and have 5 years security, total cost $1745
(no inflation).

As someone who has managed to convince my bosses to run our whole
business on linux based on the robostness of Open Source and and the
cost effectiveness of Linux, am I losing one of my arguments?

How do these prices compare to alternative, (windows/solaris)?

 thanks,

           Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden. (Systems Developer)

Visit: Crystallography Journals Online <http://journals.iucr.org>

Thanks in advance:-
See: <http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

UK Privacy (R.I.P)  : http://www.stand.org.uk/commentary.php3
Public GPG key available on request.

-- 99% of politicians give the rest a bad name --