Re: early review of RH 9 (Shrike)

On Tuesday 25 March 2003 19:16, Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:
> Charles Griffin wrote:
> > OSNews apparently received an early copy of RH 9
> > (called "Shrike") for review.
> >
> > Check it out here:
> > http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3119
> >
> > Regards,
> > Charles

> Thanks for the link to the article. It sounds like the coverage was
> fairly in-line with my experiences with this beta.
>
> The mozilla phone calls make me wonder, for those that plan on upgrading
> only. I guess since it doesn't work well. They might be better off with
> the 1.3 or later browser versions.
>
> Jim

I must say that I'm a rather disappointed the the status quo WRT MP3
support in Red Hat 9 remains the same. Considering that both Mandrake
and SUSe are releasing their next versions with MP3 support in them...
(... unless I'm seriously mistaken about this!).

I realise too, that Red Hat's main focus is in the server market, and
it looks like the other distros have a better chance of gaining the desktop
(read: Windows converts).

QUESTION: Does this mean that any serious challenge to the Wintel
desktop will be only forthcoming from Europe? True, "Lindows" might be
making some kind of dent, but only in parts of the USA. I am yet to see
a Lindows box at any local brangh of Walmart (even though those stores
are sprouting in these parts like mushrooms after a heavy rainfall...

QUESTION: Release notes (RH 9)? I don't think (IMVHO) that the
release notes from Phoebe3 would apply, since there were so many
unresolved questions and show-stoppers...

... but then I could be wrong, just as I was wrong in thinking that
the DOJ would really have come down hard on Microsoft...

Elton ;-)