PCL network printer configuration

Hi,

I've got this neat Canon iR 2200 network printer-fax-scanner-etc machine
(not coffee though, too bad!), but I just can't get it to work.
The docs explain how to configure it for Solaris, by simply editing
/etc/printcap and using the remote "lp" unix-style spool. That's the way
I've always configured printers on GNU/Linux, but I figured I should give
CUPS a try in order to keep current ;-)

The problem is that the printer doesn't seem to support PostScript, and I
was told it was indeed a PCL (?) printer. I've tried quite a few drivers
from the "Printer" setup tool, but each time the printer prints only one
line with what seems to be plain PostScript "%!PS-Adobe-3.0 [{ etc." then
spits warm blank pages until I go an cancel the printing. It's done that
for each try I've made, even choosing "Text Only Printer" with a plain
ASCII test page... I'm really confused.

Does anyone know what I should do to get this network printer working? I'm
really stuck, and ruining more and more paper.

Matthias

Red Hat Linux release 8.0.9x (Phoebe) running Linux kernel 2.4.20-2.54
Load : 0.37 0.41 0.44, AC on-line, battery charging: 100% (5:39)