Re: RHL 9 - concerns

On Wed, 2003-03-26 at 16:35, Brent Fox wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 15:07, Andreas-Johann Ulvestad wrote:
> > Point being, it's becoming too bloody americanized.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean here.
>
> > People are starting to
> > look for other alternatives... People are sick of the Microsoft-model with
> > Advanced Server, Blabal Enterprise, etc etc etc etc. That was the beauty
> > of everything - Red Hat Linux, end of story.
>
> We started the Enterprise line because many of our corporate customers
> were asking for something that moves slower and is supported for a
> longer period of time.  We are simply responding to customer demands.
> We aren't in the business of creating products that nobody wants.
>
> We realize that businesses and consumers have different needs, so we
> have created two product lines to address that.  It isn't like we're
> discontinuing Red Hat Linux.
>
> > But now we need to run RHAS
> > 2.1 on some things (I think?), if you want to have you rdesktop updated,
> > you need to purchase an enterprise edition or face an upgrade each n
> > months, etc.
>
> You can upgrade Red Hat Linux *for free* on an unlimited number of
> computers.  Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.  I fail to see how Red
> Hat is doing you wrong.  Nobody is stopping you from continuing to run
> Red Hat Linux on your systems.
 [cut]

> Cheers,
>    Brent

I wouldn't go so far to say redhat are doing wrong, you do what you
think you need to for you business.

However, you say that business and consumers have different needs but I
suspect a lot of businesses (at least small ones) have gone down the
redhat route not realising that you were going to either force them onto
a yearly upgrade cycle or have to pay >5 times(minimum) what they way
paying for updates for each machine so that they don't have to upgrade
each year.

   Regards,

 Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden. (Systems Developer)

Visit: Crystallography Journals Online <http://journals.iucr.org>

Thanks in advance:-
See: <http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>

UK Privacy (R.I.P)  : http://www.stand.org.uk/commentary.php3
Public GPG key available on request.

-- 99% of politicians give the rest a bad name --