Re: RHL 9 - concerns

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 04:13:55PM -0500, Brent Fox wrote:
> Based on the number of registered systems on Red Hat Network, we see
> that the vast majority of our current users are running 7.3 or 8.0.
> That means that most of our users have upgraded their machines in the
> last 12 months.  I'm sure that there are plenty of 6.2 machines still
> kicking out there, but I think that the impact of the shortened errata
> policy is exaggerated somewhat.

For what it's worth, going from 12 to 18 months would do a lot to make
people happy. Or even 15. If releases continue come out every 6 months,
there's not much breathing room between a brand new release and "must update
right now", unless you plan on updating every nine months or so -- and
that's too fast for anything but experimental. A 15-month policy would allow
people to do yearly upgrades without feeling panicked near the end. This is
doubly true if the version-to-version volatility is going up -- there's not
much room to wait a few months after a release before installing it on all

Since I do security updates and support myself, I understand what a pain it
is to continue to support multiple old releases, so I'm definitely
sympathetic -- but I think it'd make a lot of your customers much happier if
you added those three more months.