Re: RHL 9 - concerns

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003, Gerald Henriksen wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:36:39 +0100 (CET), you wrote:
> >People like me in academia will continue to run my workstations and servers
> >on the rapidly mutating red hat linux version.  My upgrade cycle is and
> >has been pretty much always been:
> >keep the desktops on the bleeding edge, keep my servers just a bit behind.
> So you wait 3 to 6 months after the release of 8.0 or 9 to allow the
> initial bugs to be worked out and for you to gain confidence that your
> server will work as expected, and oops you now only have 6 to 9 months
> of errata left unless Red Hat decides to be generous and extend the
> errata period.  So are you going to add your servers to the upgrade
> cycle, or are you going to pay for the Enterprise edition?

Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.  I really can't
imagine a scenario where Red Hat refuses to provide patches for bugs
labelled by security watchgroups as 'high risk factors' -- these are
almost the only errata I would be really concerned about on my servers
anyway.  A gazillion patches for gnome, kde, xfree86, mozilla, etc. are
not very interesting on a server; and if Red Hat stops issuing them, it
won't matter too much.  However, if they did the same for the high-risk
bugs, then I would be flabbergasted. It would be suicidal.  They will
have to provide the patches for the dangerous bugs ANYway for the
enterprise editions; how much larger an effort is it to provide patches
for the high risk bugs for the RHL releases of the last, say, two years?

I really think that Red Hat has to address this issue -- not all errata
are 'equal'.

denice.deatrich @ epfl.ch, DSC / LTHC-LTHI, E.P.F.L.   PH: +41 (21) 693 76 67
<*> This moment's fortune cookie:
Q:	What do agnostic, insomniac dyslexics do at night?
A:	Stay awake and wonder if there's a dog.