Re: RHL 9 - concerns

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:27:05 +0100 (CET), you wrote:

>Well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.  I really can't
>imagine a scenario where Red Hat refuses to provide patches for bugs
>labelled by security watchgroups as 'high risk factors' -- these are
>almost the only errata I would be really concerned about on my servers
>anyway.  A gazillion patches for gnome, kde, xfree86, mozilla, etc. are
>not very interesting on a server; and if Red Hat stops issuing them, it
>won't matter too much.  However, if they did the same for the high-risk
>bugs, then I would be flabbergasted. It would be suicidal.  They will
>have to provide the patches for the dangerous bugs ANYway for the
>enterprise editions; how much larger an effort is it to provide patches
>for the high risk bugs for the RHL releases of the last, say, two years?

Big effort for 2 reasons:

1) it defeats Red Hat's whole attempt to get everyone to move their
servers onto the Enterprise Line (at much higher cost).  Red Hat is
using a carrot and stick approach.  The carrot of course is you get 5
years of support (should you be willing to pay for the whole 5 years).
The stick is that support on the regular line is to short to be useful
for most servers.

2) it is presumably a larger effort because the releases are
dramatically different.  The Enterprise line is based off of Red Hat
7.3 which means older libraries, compilers, software versions, etc.
So any security fixes for 8.0, 9, ... will be based on entirely
different releases of software requiring at the very least their own
unique testing and validation.  This is the other part of the stick
referenced in 1), in that the side effect of making the regular line
more experimental and fast moving means there will be less commonality
between releases, meaning more work for errata, and hence more
justification for dropping errata support after 12 months.