Re: early review of RH 9 (Shrike)

Gordon Messmer said:
> Graydon wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 02:59:50PM -0500, Elton Woo scripsit:
>>

>>>Good point. Considering that Mandrake was supposed to "go under" by
>>> way of bankruptcy, and have now released a full new version
>>>with mp3 support included. Does this mean that nothwithstanding, they
>>> (Mandrake) have deeper pockets than Red Hat?
>>>

>>Gods, no.
>>
>>Red Hat *specifically decided* not to license MP3, because they're
>> being GPL purists.
>>

> What, exactly, would they have licensed?  The GPL forbids distribution
> of software that would place encumberances upon the recipients, which
> Thompson's patents do.  All common mp3 software is available only under
> the GPL.
>
> Red Hat can not fulfill the requirements of the GPL unless they can
> procure an unlimited, transferrable license for the patents.
>
> No one else has a license to distribute GPL'd mp3 software in locations
> where mp3 is patented, either, AFAIK.

Well, as long as we aren't being GPL purists and paying for the license,
who says it needs to be GPL?  AOL (via the Nullsoft purchase) says they
are making a Linux version of Winamp.  As a matter of fact, it may have
the distinction of being a *legal* way to play MP3s on Linux, because
Nullsoft does have a license from Thomson.

--
William Hooper