RE: ATI Radeon IGP 340M

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003, Carter, Shaun G wrote:

>I thought that as well from what I could gather online.  I just found it
>strange that when I installed it the XF86Config-4 file had "radeon" for
>driver.  Maybe they combined vesa into the radeon module.

No, that doesn't even make sense.  "vesa" uses the video card's
video BIOS, in particular the VESA VBE.  To use VESA VBE, you
choose the "vesa" driver.  If you choose the "radeon" driver then
you're definitely using the radeon driver and definitely not
using "vesa".

If the "radeon" driver works in mdk on Radeon IGP, then it's
possible they have patched the driver to pretend Radeon IGP is
some other Radeon and perhaps achieved working or semi-working
results.  It's even possible they've received a patch from ATI
also.   Hard to say without looking at their source code.

I've no compelling reason to do so for a while though.  ;o)