-----Original Message-----
From: Jef Spaleta [mailto:jspaleta princeton edu]
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 9:18 AM
To: phoebe-list redhat com

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 11:17, Todd Booher wrote:

> Personally, I think you guys are selling yourself short in this
> market.  People (including myself) are really looking for an
> alternative to closed source software for our daily computing needs
> and feel that red hat is very close.

shrug I use open source software for all my daily NEEDS right now,
unless its mandated to me to use something else by my job. But when I
have a choice to get something done i use linux(i leave it up to you to
figure out which linux distro). But digital entertainment isn't a NEED.
games, movies and music and a good chunk of the crappy digital
multimedia universe are entertainment based and have nothing to do with
NEEDS. I can just as easily turn all the computers off and play with a
bag of marbles instead when i NEED to be entertained.

> As for the philosophical reasons, being true to the GPL is
> commendable, I just wish their was another way to 'have our cake and
> eat it too."

There is something you need to understand. Revolutions are more about
self-sacrifice than persistantly whining to people to give you what you
want. If you want to support alternatives you have to stop supporting
the status-quo.  The patent encumbered multimedia codecs are what is
standing in the way of open source multimedia. Stop using those
codecs...show a little backbone...show a little self-sacrifice. Go buy a
crappy ogg capable portable player....donate money to xiph.org's codec
projects.

Think about this...where would we be if MS had patented the Word
document fileformat? Don't laugh...the US patent office, isn't exactly
the most forward thinking of organizations...im sure MS could have
patented all its document fileformats if it wanted to (and will in the
near future).  Throw out all the GPL and GPL-like licenced code out
there that would be affected by that change...where does that leave the
larger open source community in terms of compatibility with MS Office?
Would we really have usable open source applications out there that
could legally handle those patented file formats?  Personally i'd think
we be better off if MS had patented their file formats...we'd have had
an open standard replacement agreed on by now for open source documents.
Just as we are seeing the ogg vorbis become the open standard for
music...and hopefully soon xiph's ogg tarkin video codec will stop being
vapor and be a real alternative for video.

for open source to succeed on the desktop...there is a need for open
source multimedia codecs. MS pushed their own codecs for years...apple
pushes theirs. Open Source needs their own open technology, relying on
other people's technology to underpin the open source desktop is a
losing argument in the end...when MS and apple and others like thompson
with mp3 (the jury is out on real...the helix player has merit, but the
codecs are still closed) start encombering their technology even more to
lock out the open source competition. It will not work that way.
Something like the vorbis collection of open codecs are the ONLY way to
succeed at this world domination thing, in the end.  And Red Hat's
management seems to be smart enough to gauge both market demand, the
legal issues and the important technical issues. I'm not very fearful
that Red Hat won't still be around to build a kick ass open source
consumer desktop product, when all the pieces are ready.  I'm sure there
are a lot of people at Red Hat salivating at the idea of a real consumer
desktop "product" in the future...in fact I see the ramped up new RHL
development cycle changes that focus on new tech faster, as a way to
push desktop development ahead with a certain timeline in mind for a
home user product.  The next couple of years will be interestingly
painful to watch.

But like I said I for one get all my daily computer NEEDS done in linux
right now.  I might not be able to do online banking with Quicken, or
play all those FPS games that windows has..but i get done what i NEED to
get done.

-jef"16 gigs of oggs on disk in the bossogg jukebox"spaleta