Cluster without shared disk, or over shared over NFS

Marcos Monge mmonge at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 18:23:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 09:42:54 -0500, Lon Hohberger <lhh at redhat.com> wrote:

> As of U3, you can use iSCSI or GNBD without any clever tricks (and I
> believe it's supported now).  At the time the above was written, that
> wasn't the case.  You should also be able to use block devices via iSCAI
> and/or GNBD for service data as well.

I'm thinking in use iSCSI, exported from the NetApp filer. I think
this will be the best solution with RHEL3, because I have the same
problem with the service data partition (I think that actual cluster
suite don't support service data over nfs).

The RHEL3 I have installed in this servers is Update 3. But I haved
read in someplace that to support iSCSI you need Update 4. Are you
sure that U3 support iSCSI? This will be great ;)

> The rgmanager code (targetted for RHEL4) doesn't need shared storage to
> operate internally (nor will it use it...).  It can use NFS as data
> stores for services instead of being limited to SANs/iSCSI/GNBD (obvious
> limitations apply).

hmmm... This means that RHEL4 cluster suite will support all the
things I need? ;) (that it's: no shared disk between servers, and
aplication service data over nfs)
Wouu... ;)

I think I will try tomorrow with iSCSI, and maybe reinstall all the
things in 1 month when rhel4 is avalaible (14-feb I think).

Thanks
Marcos