Differing ports between virtual and real servers

Brenton D. Rothchild brentonr at dorm.org
Wed Mar 1 08:17:27 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I know this has been asked before, and was mentioned as a "possible
future feature", (see
https://www.redhat.com/archives/piranha-list/2002-April/msg00009.html)
but I wanted to ask again:

I have a need (well, really want) to route virtual servers to different
ports on real servers, i.e.

Service A
   virtual 192.168.1.1:443 ->
      real 10.10.10.8:1001
      real 10.10.10.9:1001

   virtual 192.168.1.2:443 ->
      real 10.10.10.8:1002
      real 10.10.10.9:1002

As you can probably guess, this is in reference to a HTTPS setup;
I want to avoid a ton of "real IP pools" in the 10.10.10.x network.

Looking at the source (0.8.1 src rpm), it looks like lvsd already stores
a separate port in the lvsService struct; so could it be as simple as:

1) adding a "port" option to the real server block of the lvs.cf file
    and setting that value in the lvsService structs

2) passing this real-server port (as opposed to the virtual-service
    port) to nanny to use with the "ipvsadm -a -t -r" command (as in
    "ipvsadm -a -t virt_host:virt_port -r real_host:real_port")

I'm interesting in patching my own setup to try it out, and I'd like
to hear if I'm completely off-base first, if possible.

Thanks!
-Brenton Rothchild