Replacing ldirectord/heartbeat with LVS/piranha/pulse

Sean Drill sean.drill at staff.westnet.com.au
Tue Mar 10 02:12:48 UTC 2009

I am not sure if I am misreading this, but it appears that the FOS can
only occur at the server level, and not at the node level

What I am trying to configure is....

Active LVS Server            Backup LVS

|-- VIP (HTTP)

        |- Active HTTP

        |- Backup HTTP

In doing so I will have two layers of redundancy. The first layer will
be if the LVS server hosting the VIP's fails, it will fail over to the
backup LVS server. This functionality is default for LVS. However I also
require redundancy at the node level. So if the active HTTP server
fails, it moves to the backup HTTP server, without initiating a failover
to the Backup LVS server.

>From what I am reading (I could be misreading) FOS occurs at the server
level, and not at the node level. Basically I want all HTTP traffic to
be handled by the Active HTTP server, and have the backup only take over
if I choose to fail it over, or the active server fails on its own.

Cheers

- Sean