Disabling a Real server

Diego Bello dbello at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 17:56:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:41 PM,  <rhurst at bidmc.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hopefully, I am understanding your use-case and question ...
>
> If the service goes "offline", the cooresponding pulse -> lvsd -> nanny process is supposed to detect event, and then remove the real server from the vip:port pool.  See syslog for that event messages.
>
> If you want to do that manually, i.e., a planned quiesce of the service, just set the weight factor of the real server to zero.  Monitor its current active clients until it reaches zero, because no new connections will be allowed into that server while it is set to zero.  Then, shutdown the service.
>
> To drain clients, issue a command like:
>
> ipvsadm -e -t eben:8000 -r web02:8000 -g -w 0
>
> ... where eben is the virtual host name and web02 is the real server name.
>
> Do the reverse when you are ready to bring it back into the pool: server up, service up, and set its weight factor >0.

This is what I do, but when one server has weight = 0, the monitoring
script keeps working on it. It is still part of the pool. This
monitoring script is used, in this case, to alert when a machine is
down, so even when I set its weight to 0 and shutdown postgres, alerts
keep telling me that the machine is down.

Diego Bello Carreño