proposed changes to lvsd, nanny, pulse: seeking advice

Marek Grac mgrac at redhat.com
Wed Jul 21 09:37:59 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 07/20/2010 06:58 AM, Fred Clift wrote:

> Hi.  My company is using lvs and we've noticed a few issues.  We have
> at least one local patch, and plan on making several more.
>
> I cribbed and slightly modified an internal wiki page about our
> proposed changes and bugs.
>
> In particular there is at least one verified bug in lvsd (mis-indexed
> re-read of config file), some missing features (as the documentation
> implies, or is missing -- pulse re-reading the config file, doesn't
> pay attention to the status of it's child lvsd),  nanny doesn't check
> it's arguments carefully and may unexpectedly exit etc.
>
> For a full detailed description of all the issues we've found, and for
> our proposed solutions, please see:
>
> http://clift.org/fred/lvs/lvs.html

I will check it.

> I have a couple of questions.  First, can you direct me to the process
> for submitting patches for lvs/pulse/nanny, and second, are there
> other known issues with these programs that we might likely trip
> over?  In particular are there nanny options that currently are
> arguably non-valid parameters (cause immediate nanny exit) -- for
> example, a timeout of 0 is one.  Are there others?
>
> Anyway, I'd appreciate anyone's feedback on our proposed changes and
> the patch submission process.

Please create a bug in bugzilla.redhat.com (components ipvsadm &
piranha). Currently there are two long-term open bugs 'LVS do nothing
when VIP is down' and failure to start nanny kill all running nannies
(mentioned in follow-ups; patch was discussed before and yes it works).

Piranha is now part of fedora, so there is place to put upstream changes
and create packages for other distro if needed. Piranha will work with
SELinux as can be seen in RHEL6 beta (Fedora / RHEL5 will be ready
soon). There is git repo with upstream available:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=piranha.git

Patches to this repo does not have to pass RH processes (also no real
QA) but it can be flexible enough.

m,