[Pki-devel] code formatting on the trunk

Ade Lee alee at redhat.com
Fri Nov 18 20:51:38 UTC 2011

Hi all,

One of the things that came up recently is the idea of doing an
automatic reformatting of the code to match the project's coding
standards (after they have been reviewed).  This would provide a nice,
clean basis on which any future development would occur - and by setting
up eclipse appropriately, any new code could be assured to follow the
coding standards.

So if we do this, I'd like to do it as soon as possible so that future
changes are not obscured.

A couple of concerns:
1. Once this is done on the trunk, merges of code fixes from the 8.X
branch to trunk will be much more difficult - in fact they may all be
manual.
2. Auto-reformatting may actually result in code that is less readable
in some cases.   That is, in some cases, the developer deliberately
formatted things in such a way as to improve readability.
3. We may make it more difficult to track history on the trunk.  But
this is mitigated by the fact that history is present on the 8.x branch.

The alternative is to just ensure coding standards are met in any new
code added.

What does everyone think?

Ade