[Pki-devel] Automatic reformatting and code style

Ade Lee alee at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 19:57:57 UTC 2011

I looked at our current guidelines and noticed the following differences
with the Sun guides:

1. Placement of braces
In the current coding guidelines, we say classes and methods should look
like this:
   public class MyClass
   {
   }

instead of this (as in the Sun standard):
   public class MyClass {
   }

2. We require that interface names begin with "I".  Sun says nothing
about this.  This is probably a good one to keep.

3. We specify "no tabs".  Sun says tabs are optional.  We should keep
this.

4. We say "Static methods should begin with a capital letter with each
subsequent new word in uppercase, and subsequent letters in each word in
lower case.  Sun has no special treatment for static methods - ie. they
are treated just like other methods .. ie. beginning with a lower-case
letter.

5. We do have some guidelines for naming functions that go beyond what
Sun specifies - and also perhaps, beyond what eclipse can verify.

For example:
*   Get and set methods should begin with "get" / "set" and return the
appropriate object type.
*   Boolean get methods should use "is" or "can" as a prefix, such as
"isUndoable()" rather than "getUndoable()".
* Factory class names should include the word "Factory". Factory method
names should start with the word "Make."
* Methods for debug-only implementations should begin with "debug".
* Member variables should begin with "m". For example, mMemberVariable.

My take on this is that we should adopt the Sun coding standards and add
the additional requirements that make sense - like the ones listed in
point 5 above.  For the cases where we conflict with the Sun standards,
we should go with the Sun standards instead.

Comments?
Ade