[Pki-devel] Proposed RESTful interface to dogtag

Ade Lee alee at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 14:25:05 UTC 2011

We all appear to be learning a lot about REST here :)

I got a copy of "RESTful Web Services" by Sam Ruby et. al. and he
explains it clearly.  Turns out a lot of folks (including me) are
confused about the roles of PUT and POST.

PUT is used in general to either create a new resource or to replace an
existing resource - but only if the client knows the intended URL of the
resource.  So, as was mentioned, this might be the case for users or for
profiles where the URL of the resource /pki/profiles/userCert would be
the URL for the userCert profile.

POST is confusing because it has two usages.  The first usage is the
"create a subordinate URL" mode (POST-a).  This is used when you are
trying to create a new resource but the client does not know the URL of
the resource.  This is the case, for example, when we try to create a
new certificate request.  In this case, the client will do a POST
to /pki/request - and the server will generate a request and return a
link to /pki/request/<request_id>.

The client can even do a POST-a to /pki/request/scep
or /pki/request/enrollment or perhaps /pki/request/{profile_id} and have
the server return a link to /pki/request/<request_id>.  In this case,
the link POST-ed to is not the parent link - but rather a "factory"
link.

POST has a second usage though, which is the "overloaded" mode (POST-b).
This is when you POST to an existing URL so that it can change part of
an existing resource (rather than replacing the whole thing which is a
PUT operation).  This is the kind of operation I had in mind for say,
approving a certificate request or revoking a certificate.

So, for example, to approve a certificate request, the client would
POST-b to /pki/request/0xfeed and include say "operation=approve" in the
POSTED parameters.  The server would then process this request and could
return the URL for the issued certificate.

Or if a certificate is revoked, then the client would POST-b
to /pki/certificate/0xbeef and include say "operation=revoke" in the
POSTED parameters.  The server would then process this request and set
the status of the certificate to revoked, and return status to the
client.

POST-b is called overloaded because the real operation that is taking
place is actually in the POST-ed parameters rather than the more limited
operation of POST-a.  In some sense, this is more RPC-like.  It would be
more "REST-ful" to replace the entire object using PUT - but this could
be unacceptable in this context for a number of reasons.  Once
certificate requests and certs are in the CA they are stuck there under
the control of the server and cannot be replaced by the client.  And we
need to cognizant of network traffic.

If we did not want to use a POST-b type operation (and many people do in
fact do use POST-b), there are a couple ways that we could proceed both
of which involve adding new objects.

Option A:

We could decompose the certificate or request record into smaller
objects.  So for example, we could have the following for a cert request
- Request (the CSR itself and submitted) and RequestStatus.  Then,
approving a request would be a PUT to /pki/requeststatus/0xfeed,
replacing the object there.  It will also have the side effect of
generating a cert.

There may be some merit to this approach, in that we often want to know
the status of a request (which could the serial number of the
certificate issued).  And it separates the parts of the Request record
that are immutable from those that can be changed by client interaction.

Option B:

We could use some pseudo-resources.  Up to now, I have followed a
principle of only creating resources that clients would want to link to.
But you can create anything as a resource.  One thing you could do is
create a RequestApprover resource.  Then, approving a request is would
be doing a PUT to /pki/requestapprover passing a reference to the
request.

Ruby et. al. suggest this type of thing as a possible approach.  It
smacks as somewhat RPC-like, but it has the advantage of making explicit
the operations being performed.

Option C:  Just do the POST-b.

This is getting long -- I'll answer the other questions in a separate
email.

Ade