[Pki-devel] osutil: some issues regarding copyright, code

Timo Aaltonen tjaalton at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 18 22:44:58 UTC 2012

17.01.2012 17:56, Nathan Kinder kirjoitti:
> On 01/17/2012 02:16 AM, Timo Aaltonen wrote:
>>
>> Anyone?
> Hi Timo,
>
> Sorry for the delay in getting a reply on this.

No rush :)

>> 05.01.2012 15:22, Timo Aaltonen kirjoitti:
>>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I'm currently packaging Dogtag et al for Debian and Ubuntu, so I filed
>>> an intend-to-package bugreport on the Debian bugtracker about osutil. It
>>> got reviewed, and here's a summary of the issues that were found:
>>>
>>> - src/com/netscape/osutil/unixdefs.h has a Netscape copyright, that
>>> forbids distribution and copying. Is it merely a mistake?
> Yes, this sounds like an oversight. Please file a trac ticket to resolve
> this issue in the
> Dogtag trac instance at http://fedorahosted.org/pki

Yep, filed it yesterday, ticket #83.

>>> - "Signal.java has one architecture's signal numbers hardcoded in". Is
>>> it still portable to more obscure architectures?
> I'm not sure. I guess it depends on the architectures you are referring
> to. If you have some
> specific details on what needs to be changed, please let us know of
> provide a patch.

Yeah I'm missing the details as well.. I'll file a ticket if it's really
a concern.

>>> - the java files have hardcoded library paths, which will break with
>>> multiarch (http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch)
> Patches welcome. :)

This is probably something we (Debian/Ubuntu) probably should do, since
it's mostly a concern there. Not urgent though.

>>> - "full of error messages printed to stdout / stderr"
> Could you elaborate on this?

Same as with Signal.java, I'll get back to you with this, or just ignore
it :)

>>> - some of the functionality is apparently duplicated from (current)
>>> standard java? (string to byte conversion was mentioned)
> Parts of osutil are very likely implementing things that are now
> standard in Java, but
> were nto standard at the time. We have been going through the Dogtag
> code to refactor
> this sort of thing recently, but I don't believe that we've looked as
> osutil yet. Please file a
> trac ticket on this as well. Patches are also appreciated if you are
> interested in helping out.

Ok I'll file one.