[Pki-devel] Request for better Dogtag 10 terminology . . .

Ade Lee alee at redhat.com
Fri May 11 15:02:23 UTC 2012

The term "instance" makes sense in this context when we are talking
specifically about either a single tomcat or a single apache instance,
even if that instance happens to correspond to multiple subsystems.  And
this would make sense, because all of the subsystems within that
instance would be started/stopped by a single init script, and they will
share things like a password.conf file and a common nss database.

In the proposed layout though, we have the possibility of the "instance"
containing both an apache and a tomcat instance - and hence the casting
around for a new name.

Unless we plan on writing some hybrid init script, that allows us to
start/stop both apache and tomcat instances at the same time (which is
very unlikely in the near future - and probably a bad idea in any case),
maybe we should not allow the "instance" to contain both apache and
tomcat instances.

Instead I suggest the following :

/var/lib/pki/tomcat0 (for the ca, kra, ocsp, tks)
/var/lib/pki/apache0 (for the ra, tps)

I think I like tomcat0 and apache0 rather than "default" - it makes it
clearer that this is an instance name and also the type of instance.

Ade