[Pki-devel] CLI for editing profiles

Fraser Tweedale ftweedal at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 01:27:11 UTC 2014

Along with LDAP profiles, we will be adding modules to the CLI for
adding and editing profiles in the ConfigStore format that was used
for file-based profiles.  For more info, see:

  http://pki.fedoraproject.org/wiki/LDAP_Profile_Storage#Command-line_utilities

There is an existing CLI for adding and modifying profiles, in the
XML format, e.g. ``pki ca profile add caCustomProfile.xml``.  The
XML format carries information including the profile ID and
class_id, but these data must be supplied out-of-band when dealing
with the ConfigStore format.

Because of this, I intend to:

- add new commands to the existing profile CLI for working with the
  "raw" (i.e., ConfigStore) format, e.g. "edit-raw", "add-raw".
  Where necessary, these commands will take compulsory
  ``--profile-id`` and/or ``--class-id`` arguments, to account for
  the absense of such information in the profile ConfigStore format;

  and

- transport this information in the XML format - not in the "raw"
  format - so that it will be unnecessary to make changes to
  ProfileClient or the ProfileService API.

As usual, I welcome feedback - especially if you feel I am going the
wrong way ^_^