[Pki-devel] lightweight sub-CAs; updated design

Christina Fu cfu at redhat.com
Thu Oct 16 00:37:17 UTC 2014

First, I have a question regarding the design History for "rejected
design: sub-CA subsystem (Solution) 1".
I'm not sure I understand the stated disadvantage regarding having to
keep separate admin certs and need to find out which cert to
authenticate.  Isn't that the same thing with the other co-existing
subsystems such as KRA as well?  How is the sub-CA making it any more
different? maybe I missed something, but I actually am not convinced
that this is enough reason to make drastic changes in the code that
could weaken the stability of the product.

Now for the design...
please see my comments in-line below.

Christina

On 10/15/2014 07:37 AM, Ade Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 17:36 +1000, Fraser Tweedale wrote:

>>> I'll comment about that in the IPA thread.  I had thought that the
>>> keys etc. would reside in the primary CA certdb.

>>> Endi just added a ticket that I think is really overdue.
>>> https://fedorahosted.org/pki/ticket/1183
>>>
>>> This more closely treats the different subsystems as different webapps
>>> within a single tomcat instance.  It will make it possible to
>>> deploy/undeploy subsystems simply by removing the context.xml file.
>>>
>>> Does it make sense to treat the subCA's as separate webapps, and
>>> therefore deploy or undeploy them simply by creating or removing a
>>> context.xml file?  This would imply /ca/ee/ca/subca1/... etc.
>>>
>> The current design has them as part of the same web app, with
>> path or query parameters to distinguish between CAs.
>>
>> To my intuition, this should be a simpler and - with the current
>> deployment situation - less disruptive option than separate webapps.
>> A downside to this approach is somewhat more complicated routing,
>> more parameters to process and mechanism needed to select the
>> correct SigningUnit.  There may be critical downsides that were
>> overlooked - let me know.
> OK - lets go with that approach for now and see where we end up.

For CRL's, Each CA needs to sign its own CRL or delegate to its CRL
issuer.  a CRL issuer is a cert  that contains the crlSign key extension
which is signed by the CA itself, the same CA that issues the certs.
The OCSP responses have to be signed by the the OCSP signer that has the
ocspSigning extended key usage extension which is signed by the CA
itself, the same CA that issues the certs asking for validation.
when handling multiple crls from different ca's, iff you have one single
ocsp instance, each time a request comes in, you will need to make sure
you sign the responses with the right corresponding ocsp signing cert or
the validation will fail.

I filed a ticket recently: https://fedorahosted.org/pki/ticket/1179
I'll be happy if you take care of that while you are at it ;-).

>>> Each CertificateAuthority object owns a number of associated objects
>>> that are constructed when the CertificateAuthority object is constructed
>>> - a sample of them is below.  Do you plan to have a separate CS.cfg
>>> config files? separate log files? separate serial number generators?
>>>
>>>      protected ISubsystem mOwner = null;
>>>      protected IConfigStore mConfig = null;
>>>      protected ILogger mLogger = CMS.getLogger();
>>>      protected Hashtable<String, ICRLIssuingPoint> mCRLIssuePoints = new Hashtable<String, ICRLIssuingPoint>();
>>>      protected CRLIssuingPoint mMasterCRLIssuePoint = null; // the complete crl.
>>>      protected SigningUnit mSigningUnit;
>>>      protected SigningUnit mOCSPSigningUnit;
>>>      protected SigningUnit mCRLSigningUnit;
>>>      protected CertificateRepository mCertRepot = null;
>>>      protected CRLRepository mCRLRepot = null;
>>>      protected ReplicaIDRepository mReplicaRepot = null;
>>>
>>>      protected CertificateChain mCACertChain = null;
>>>      protected CertificateChain mOCSPCertChain = null;
>>>
>>>      protected PublisherProcessor mPublisherProcessor = null;
>>>      protected IRequestQueue mRequestQueue = null;
>>>      protected CAPolicy mPolicy = null;
>>>      protected CAService mService = null;
>>>      protected IRequestNotifier mNotify = null;
>>>      protected IRequestNotifier mPNotify = null;
>>>
>>>      public IRequestListener mCertIssuedListener = null;
>>>      public IRequestListener mCertRevokedListener = null;
>>>      public IRequestListener mReqInQListener = null;
>>>
>>>      protected Hashtable<String, ListenerPlugin> mListenerPlugins = null;
>>>
>>> Once you instantiate all of this, you start to wonder just how
>>> "lightweight" this solution is.  Yes, the separation is potentially
>>> cleaner - but its not really any better than deploying a bunch of full
>>> blown CA webapps within the same tomcat instance.
>>>
>>> I'm imagining a situation where - in openstack, different projects might
>>> want to issue certs from their own subCA's.  This is potentially a large
>>> number of subCAs.
>>>
>> Indeed.  I think should be able to share request queues and
>> listeners easily enough.  The CA SigningUnit will probably need to
>> be separate for each subCA.  Shared-vs-independent CRL and OCSP
>> SigningUnits need more investigation.

Yes that was my thought as well.. having separate SigningUnit's.
I'm not sure you want separate CA's to share the same config and
profiles as that seems to defeat the purpose of calling it out as a
separate CA.
yes, I just saw Ade's suggestion about defining shared and non-shared. I
agree that you should think it through.