[Pki-devel] lightweight sub-CAs; updated design

Christina Fu cfu at redhat.com
Fri Oct 17 17:01:33 UTC 2014

Hi Fraser,

This response is for the "Key generation and storage" part of the design.

First of all, Dogtag does provide symkey retrieval via a JNI package
which provides interface to NSS called "symkey".  There had been talks
of merging symkey functionalities into JSS (which is also a JNI package
that provides interface to NSS) in the future.

In fact, for years, Dogtag has been doing what's similar to what Petr^2
Spacek described with DNSSEC, the wrapping/unwrapping of keys on both
NSS softtoken as well as supported HSMs for distribution without ever
disclosing any private keys in memory.
This is the most basic requirement for Common Criteria for RHCS.
This is just to assure you that whatever you need, it's most likely
already there and more.

BTW, I'm not familiar with "SoftHSM".  The name itself sounds like an
oxymoron, but we don't have to get into that ;-).

As far as HSMs go, once keys are generated, you are not going to be able
to export any private keys out of it unless they are temporary and
non-sensitive keys, which should not be the case for CA signing keys.
In practice, since HSMs are expensive, people use net HSM so servers can
share the same hardware unit as long as they are within the same secured
network, which means that you don't have to try to distribute the certs
and keys, as long as you have the right permission/privileges and enough
info to access such network shared HSM.
In cases when sharing of an HSM is not possible, HSM vendors provide
assistance to "copy" keys from one HSM to another.  When our customers
run into that, we ask our customers to contact their vendor(s).
In some situations, process can be taken to generate keys on soft token
in a secure and isolated location and manually import to individual HSMs.
What you do not want to do, is to put your CA signing keys anywhere
other than an isolated backup facility or in the token itself, no matter
how many times you wrap it.  Ciphers get cracked every few years, and
when your CA private keys are compromised, the consequences are
insurmountable.
You might ask, why then KRA keeps the wrapped user private keys on the
ldap server for archival/recovery?  The answer is very simple. Those are
user keys.  It would be bad if they are compromised, but not as bad or
widespread.  Also, those user private keys are wrapped with individual
session keys (every key is different), unlike what DNSSEC is doing with
one single "master key", if I read it correctly (I apologize I did not
have time to look into DNSSEC at all).
Anyway, Dogtag has a long history of serving facilities that require
high security, so that's why it is what it is today.

Hope this helps.
Christina