[Pki-devel] Python integration tests with betamax, Vagrant and Ansible

Christian Heimes cheimes at redhat.com
Wed Feb 24 11:52:10 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have made some progress with integration tests of our Python API. You
can find my experiments at https://github.com/tiran/pki/commits/betamax
. The integration tests are using pytest fixtures and betamax.

What is betamax?
----------------

https://betamax.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Betamax is recorder and player. More precisely it is a testing library
for python-requests to record requests and replay responses. In
recording mode it records all requests and stores the requests and
intercepts requests and serves responses from pre-recorded cassettes.

With betamax we can run integration tests against a life Dogtag
installation. Once our tests have been recorded, we don't need a Dogtag
server any more. The recorded test cases become self-sustained and fully
reproducible.

Betamax is in Fedora 23!

How to record?
--------------

Of course we also need a simple to record the initial set, new tests or
to update recordings. Please welcome Ansible and Vagrant! I wrote a
Vagrant file and Ansible playbook that do all the heavily lifting in the
background. The code is currently located at
https://github.com/tiran/pki-vagans .

Once you installed and set up Vagrant and Ansible on your machine, it
takes just one command and about 7 to 10 minutes to install a VM with
Dogtag. The command 'vagrant up' will download Fedora 23, upgrade the
box, set up 389 DS and a Dogtag instance with CA and KRA. With 'vagrant
provision' you can update the machine and even install custom builds
from a directory with RPMs.

What's left to do?

* write more tests (obviously)
* pki-vagans and integration tests are tuned to my machine. The setup
might not work on your box.
* Tests are currently read-only. I need to figure out a good way for
tests that create data, probably a fixture on module or class level.

Please test :)

Christian